In Memory sorted alphabetically

Manfred Fraund - Year Entered 1964

Manfred Fraund

Died October 2, 2022


Obituary:  Manfred Fraund

Manfred Arthur Fraund was born in Wiesbaden, Germany in October 1943.  Since the first two years of his life happened to be the last two years of WWII, he had some traumatic experiences early in life, including living through more than one bombing of his parent’s country home.  His early years in post-war Germany included harsh treatment by teachers, and learning struggles, but also love from his Grandmother who looked after him while his parents ran their paint and hardware store called ‘Farben Fraund’.  Around age 11 he started helping his parents with the business after school each day.  He treasured this time with his parents, and he learned to build a happy community of repeat customers from their example.  His outgoing demeanor and strong customer service ethic were instilled in him by his father, Arthur Fraund.  

He attended the Oranienschule Gymnasium in Wiesbaden – a high school for boys from age 10 to 16.  He developed a love for biology at this school which later led him to enroll in a medical program at Illinois University. 

In 1957 Manfred sailed to the United States with his parents and his older brother, Helmut, when he was 14 years old.  The family was sponsored by a friend of Manfred’s father – an Air Force officer named Tony Costa, who remained in touch with the family until his death in 2015.  Manfred’s sister, Erika, who was now 18, stayed in Europe since she had a full time job at a travel agency.  The family sailed from Rotterdam to Nova Scotia on the Holland-America cruise line, and finally arrived in New York harbor.  Manfred found some quarters on the street on their first visit to New York, which reinforced the idea that money could be found on the streets in America, and that they could realize their own American dream. 

The family settled in a town 50 miles south of Chicago called Tinley Park.  Manfred graduated from Bremen High School in Illinois, and then started studying to become a physics teacher at Western Illinois University.  He transferred into a medical program at the University of Illinois.  During the Spring of 1964 Manfred and Helmut became interested in the Plain Truth magazine and the World Tomorrow radio broadcast by Herbert W. Armstrong.  They both applied to Ambassador College, but were also drafted, classified as 1A and slated to be sent to Vietnam.  Manfred’s conscientious objection was not accepted.   The draft board told Manfred to expect his orders within weeks, and he waited nervously to hear from Ambassador College at the same time.  Finally, near the end of the summer, Manfred got a telegram from Ambassador College with news of his acceptance.  He was happy to move to California for his new found faith, church community and college.  He studied Theology for three years at Ambassador College, and was then sent to Canada to serve in the field ministry.  His draft card classification was now 4D which provided draft deferral as a student of Divinity. 

While serving in Canada, Manfred started writing to a student he knew at Ambassador College named Janice Walter.  They decided to marry after Janice’s graduation in June of 1968. 

Manfred began work in the German Department of the Church God, and then spent 22 years working in the Radio Production, and later on the Television Department as a sound engineer.  He recorded and edited the Church of God’s radio broadcasts in various languages.  When those departments closed, he used his sound and video editing skills as an independent consultant to serve a number of loyal clients for many years. 

Manfred began serving handicapped church members in 1972 by reading the Worldwide News for recordings distributed to the blind.  He continued this service for many years.  He produced recordings of monthly church newsletters, and edited and copied weekly church service recordings for shut ins.  His final recording went to 30 (??) shut ins last month.

Manfred enjoyed writing, and has written many books and poems that he shares with friends and family.  Jonathan Reiman has lived with Manfred since 2004, and has become a close friend since they both attend the United Church of God. 

Manfred enjoyed spending time with his children and grandchildren.  In the last couple of years he especially enjoyed taking care of Katherine (now 2 years old), and taking her on wagon rides around the neighborhood. 

He will be greatly missed by his family, friends and church family.  He is survived by his sister Erika Fraund-Kim, his brother Helmut Fraund, his three children, Anne Fulton, Ben Fraund and Ted Fraund, and his eight grandchildren: Arron (19), Ethan (17), Maddy (15), Jacob (12), Allison (10), Danica (9), Katherine (2) and Kaia (2).


Manfred described his coming to America in 1957 in the article below:

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

10/24/22 09:01 AM #1    

Susie Beach (Roberts) (1975)

I'm so sorry to hear of Manfred's passing. I have many fond memories of Manfred. We worked together at Radio Production at WCG for about four years. He taught me how to edit and dubb Mr. Armstrong's radio broadcast. We often had deep conversations about God's truth and life. He was an truly an amazing man and son of God.

10/24/22 01:39 PM #2    

Wil (Wilbur) Berg (1957)

The tribute below is from a FB post written by a close friend of Manfred's, Helmut Rudajs, after he (Helmut) attended the funeral service for Manfred:


We said goodbye to Manfred yesterday (October 29, 2022)

I had known Manfred for many years. Exactly when we met, I forgot, but I remember early on, us noting to one another, that we had a fair bit in common:

We both were immigrants to America with German background. We spoke German, he fluently, I much less so. First generation immigrants are the new kids in town, outsiders somewhat, with similar stories.

We both had a passion for discussing scripture and “the things of God” … which we did energetically. He was an ardent believer, but also a thinker. We enjoyed agreeing and we also enjoyed not agreeing. “One day we will know” is often how conversations ended.

We both had felt the sorrow of having to bury one of our children, each child buried not far from each other, and where Manfred himself would finally rest.

Good health and fitness were important to him. When he told me how many miles he ran, and push-ups and sit-ups he did … he rekindled in me a faded desire to do likewise. For this gift, I thanked him. Many years have passed, and the gift remains.

He possessed the same German spirit as my mother … one that prefers to stay busy and productive, rather than be entertained. He served the brethren in our church, mightily and humbly. Here he planted many seeds with much fruit forthcoming.

The last time I saw him was early 2020. Covid had come and so had cancer.

I was very moved by what he said in his last days, to a church elder: Manfred had been busy helping to take care of his little two-year-old granddaughter. He did not want to die he said, there were things that he, as grandfather to 8 grandchildren, still needed to do. Such were the desires of a true Christian, real German, and loving man.

So, his coffin was lowered deep. The earth mover brought three whole loads to fill the empty chasm. It was at that moment I sensed his physical separation was complete.

But warm memories and the spiritual force set by his life cannot be buried. They remain with us and affect us still, we who knew him.

(Manfred Arthur Fraund : October 17, 1943 - October 2, 2022 … friend and brother in Christ)


go to top 
  Post Comment


UA-51763549-1 UA-167577202-1